Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Wonderful Family

Today has been a very reflective Mother's Day for me. Yesterday I found out that my friend Laura's little sister passed away. Her sister was serving a mission in England; she collapsed when she was on a jog with her companion, and her companion was unable to revive her. My heart hurts so much for Laura and her family. The hurt has been amplified today because Mother's Day is the day missionaries get to call home. Today they would have been talking to their sister/daughter on the phone. Laura has the music to "For Good" from the play "Wicked" on her website. The music is basically two friends singing about how their life has been changed for the better because they knew each other. Thinking about the trial she and her family are facing along with the lyrics to that music has caused me to reflect on my own family. This blog is in honor of my mother (since it's her day), but it's written for all my family members.

First, I'd like to tell all my family that my life truly has been blessed because I've known you. Each of you is an important piece of who I am. I think we've all grown a lot in the past few years, and I'm so grateful for where we are. I'm also thankful for the many wonderful memories I have from family traditions and vacations. We may have fought a lot growing up, but my memories are memories of fun and excitement. Thank you Mom and Dad for making those things a part of our life!

Since it's Mother's Day, let me first say a word about my mother. My mother is perfect. No, she doesn't do everything just right, but she is perfect in her love for her family. Just thinking about my mom brings joy to my heart. She is a wonderful example of faith and perseverance. If ever I'm having a hard day, just hearing my mother's voice can make things much better. I am so glad you are my mom - I love you, Mom!

Now a word about my father, whom I affectionately refer to as "pa". My dad is an amazing man. I've always been proud that he is my father. I am grateful for his many efforts to share his testimony with our family and to express his love to each of us. There isn't anything my dad wouldn't do for us kids. Although all the kids have moved away, my dad doesn't stop giving and helping any way he can. I love you, Dad!

My sister Alyson amazes me with all she does. She keeps busy with five boys, but she still manages to do many other things she enjoys. I know she struggles to feel like her life has balance, but I'm amazed at the efforts she goes through to try. She wakes up early to exercise, tries to attend the temple once a week, and still manages to get in a good book every once in a while. :) Alyson and I were sworn enemies until we were in our early 20s (there's hope for my girls). I am so, so glad for the friendship we have been able to share since then. I love you, Alyson.

My only brother, Brandon, is impressive (to say the least). I always knew he was funny and good looking, but it turns out he has many other impressive talents also. He landscaped their huge yard, almost single-handidly finished their basement, built a mud shed, etc., etc. He's about to relocate his family to Florida so he can get a doctorate degree. Hello! I really never knew I had such a smart and talented brother. He is also very thoughtful and has really stepped up to the plate being the only brother. I love you, Brandon.

Lindsey is one of the most selfless people I've met (I think she gets it from my mom). She joys in doing things to make her nieces and nephews happy. I think she is the happiest when she is with family and/or doing something to help someone else. She was the brilliant person who came up with the idea for our sister vacation to Disneyland (go Linz!). I admire that she pushes through the challenges, even when they get really tough. Lindsey is also super smart and is very, very creative. She's the mastermind behind some fun family movies we have made. Lindsey is responsible for many great family memories. Thanks, Linz. I love you.

Ashley was my friend in heaven that Heavenly Father let be my sister here on earth. When I was on my mission I got a letter from my grandma that basically said, "You realize Ashley really loves you, right? You need to reach out to her." I'm still reaching, Ash. Ashley recently moved to California so her husband could attend optometry school there. It's really hard for Ashley to be away from family, but she is hanging in there. She is very supportive of her husband, and I'm proud of her for everything she has accomplished. I love you, Ashley.

We aren't a perfect family, but we have been blessed with a lot of love and fond memories. I'm so very sad for my friend Laura and her family, but I'm grateful that their trial prompted me to share my feelings with my family. I'm definitely a better person because of each of you. I love you Ross Family! :)

5 comments:

Dashley said...

Thank you Hilary. You are wonderful yourself. You have so many talents. You have the ability to light up any room you walk into. You are the one we all call for advice. I am impressed with the knowledge you have and how you always seem to be seeking more. I love the desire and motivation you have to be such a great mother. I appreciate all the help you give me. I hope someday I can repay you. I love you, Hilary!

Anonymous said...

Right on Hilary! I feel very blessed to have you all as my family. I always say Heavenly Father sent me the best spirits in heaven and he did! And you all got to grow up in Wyoming. That has to be part of it. Oh Yes, Wyoming.!!

Laura Jorgenson said...

Thanks so much for your kind words and the prayers I know you've been sending my way. I've been needing them. I'm glad you took the chance to reach out to your family. This experience has definitely made me desire to do that more and has also reminded me that family really is what matters. Thanks so much for your friendship. Even though we don't see each other much, I know you're a true friend who I could always call on for help. Thanks.

Brown Family said...

I agree that both you and your family are awesome. I am so impressed with how you all have become such good friends as adults, and I'm happy that you are my friends, too. :)

L-D Sus said...

Thanks for a great post Hil. I always call Mom when I'm sick. Talking to hear always makes me feel better. How old am I? I agree we have a perfect Mom. Well almost perfect...she doesn't like pepper.

Not only is Lindsey happiest when she is serving, but all of us are. I attribute that attitude to Mom and Dad. And Wyoming.

-Brandon