Friday, May 23, 2008

Flooded Basement

Yesterday morning we had a little excitement. I discovered that our basement had a little flooding. It had rained hard all night long. The long and short of it is that the neighbor's drain hose was pointed straight at our patio, and all the water was going straight to one of our window wells. The well was full of water, and there was water under the carpet in half of the living room downstairs. I freaked out and did what any logically thinking person would do -- I called my friend Denise to wake her up. I knew she'd know what to do. Three hours later, we (meaning Denise and me -- all by ourselves) had the carpet pulled up and airing out, the wet padding cut away, and the water sucked/bucketed out of the window well (which you can see in the back of this picture).
Denise, who is more with it than I am, went straight home and wrote a great blog about the experience. You can read it at Denise's blog. I should also mention that Denise is so on the ball that she has already written another blog, so the blog about our experience is currently the second one on her blog. It's a good, short read.

The good news is that our renters downstairs have been moving in slowly and are not actually planning on staying here until after their wedding next month. The furniture that was supposed to be delivered early this week, was taken to the wrong address and was, therefore, not in the room when this happened. Blessing!!! There was very little in the room, which simplified things immensely for us. It's also going to cost a lot less than I thought to get it all put back together.

Can I just say I'm thankful for really smart, selfless friends!! Thanks Denise!

No comments: