Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Things We Do For Our Kids...

I just spent 45 minutes this morning standing in line to sign Morgan up for an after school 4-H club.

The principle at our school is really into these after school clubs, and I'm glad. The first year they had them, I showed up five minutes early and walked right in. I had Morgan signed up for the class she wanted and was back home within 10 minutes. The next year, the principle actually got funding for a 4-H after school program; so now there were more class options, t-shirts for the kids, and snacks before the clubs started. I don't know if that's what made it more popular or if parents just caught onto how great these clubs are, 'cause the second year the lines were much worse. I got in line 30 minutes early and barely got the class I wanted.

This year I warned Morgan that she might not be able to do a club. I gauged her response as a factor in how willing I was to do what I had to to guarantee she'd get in. I then gauged how important her "1st choice" was to her. I realized Morgan really wanted to be in a club, but she was flexible when it came to what club.

So now it was decision time. Do I go stand in line? If so, what time do I go?

The other issue I face is that they don't start registration until 7:00, but that's what time I need to start getting the girls up to get to school on time. I finally decided I'd rather wait in line longer so I could get out of there and back home as quickly as possible. When I arrived at the school at 6:13 (had to beat the people who were shooting for 6:15!!), I was about the 20th parent in line (nice equal mix of fathers and mothers). Unless each parent in front of me were signing up all their neighbors' kids, I knew I'd have to problem getting Morgan in the club she wanted. (Last year the first person in line had the sign-up papers for 20 people!!!! Annoying!!)

After the first five minutes of waiting, they let us in the school. I sat and talked to one of my neighbors, read a little in the book I brought, and entertained myself by watching the sleepy parents walk by. I loved saying, "How are you?" to the ones I knew. It was hilarious watching them try and form a coherent thought to answer me. Everyone commented how crazy we all are to do this for our kids.

As the line was getting ready to start moving, I realized I really don't mind waiting in line in the morning. If every year gets earlier and earlier, I might reach the point where it's not worth it and I'll have to tell the kids sorry; but for now it is well worth waiting in line for 45 minutes for Morgan to get to do something she enjoys. And since the program runs for 12 weeks, I figure that 45 minutes of waiting in line gives me 18 more hours of "get-things-done time" before Morgan gets home.

Maybe next year I'll go even earlier and sell hot chocolate and breakfast bars to the poor parents in line. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what club did she get in? The joys of parenthood.

Hilary said...

Theater club! They will be doing some improv (sp?), making the set, and doing an actual play -- all in 10 weeks. Should be really good for her! :)

Dashley said...

I am so glad you did this- totally worth it for Morgan! So way to be an awesome go-getter Mom!

Luber family said...

I love your 6:13am idea and the entrepreneur idea! Smart, smart, smart woman!