Monday, August 25, 2008

A Lesson About Marriage

Conversation with Morgan just a moment ago:

Morgan: "Simba and Nala used to just be good friends, didn't they?"
Hilary: "Yep"
Morgan: "But then they fell in love and got married."
Hilary: "That's right. The best person you could ever marry is your best friend."
Morgan: "Whose a boy."
(Thanks for that clarification.)
Hilary: "Yep"
Morgan: "Why don't girls marry girls?"
Hilary: "It's because that's not how Heavenly Father created us."
Morgan: "No. That was a joke."
(Pardon me. Of course it's only a joke! Now why would I even begin to think it was a real question?)
Hilary: "Why not."
Morgan: "Because people would look at them and laugh every time they saw them."
Hilary: "That's a good one, Morgan!"

How refreshing to have such an innocent conversation about an issue that used to be "obvious" (as it still is to Morgan) but is now supposedly controversial. So at what point do I prepare her for this world in which we live?

And for the record, my view on the whole topic lines up directly with the views of my chosen faith. The church wrote a beautiful document outlining our views on the family. Check it out.

3 comments:

Dashley said...

This is the exact topic we have spent the past two saturdays talking to neighborhoods about. heard of proposition 8? In cali they are trying to make it legal for same sex marriages. It is nice to walk around with our child and know that we did something right. I am indeed impressed with my little Morgan. But I must say that I am thinking that the conversation might have been steering toward her "little buddy," Tyler. Derek used to my "little buddy" afterall. :)

Denise said...

We don't say anything to little buddy Tyler until after his mission. :)

I've actually been thinking about writing a blog about how different our kids' world will be. Crazy!

Anonymous said...

Out of the mouths of babes. I think I would look at them and feel very sad every time I saw them. In fact that is what I do.