One of the things I inherited when Bert passed away was her aprons. Morgan found them in the pantry and was suddenly motivated to cook. She pulled down a recipe book and flipped through all 300 pages of it. I guess she decided nothing looked good because she came and asked me if I could tell her how to make an omelet. I sorta helped and sorta instructed while Morgan made a couple omelets. Then she told me she was making a surprise for me and not to look while she put my omelet together. She said not to look in the middle until I had tried a bite. I will admit I disobeyed. Turns out she made me a delightful omelet full of frozen fruit!
Brynne has been planning a late-over for several months now. I finally told her to pick a Friday and we'd do it. She invited a friend and Morgan invited a couple of brothers in our neighborhood that she likes to play with. We got pizza to feed everyone (and yes, I gave in to letting them have pop too).When Brynne asked for a late-over, I had visions of the kids all watching a movie or playing games while I went about my own business, but this was not to be!! Brynne looked through some creative girl cookbooks from Gibbs Smith (the publishing company my brother-in-law Brad works for) and picked out two things she wanted to make for the late-over. The first one, sugar cookies, was doable. I made a bunch of star cookies and the kids frosted them. (Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the cookies.)
The second thing Brynne wanted to make stretched me a little, considering cooking and baking is NOT my thing! She wanted to make dragonflies made out of pretzels and melted white chocolate. It was my first time ever making anything that required melting chocolate. I managed to figure everything out, though, and the kids were really excited with their dragonflies!
I took a close-up picture to help you see what they looked like. The body with long tail is made out of a rod pretzel. The wings are made out of large pretzels. I probably should have taken the picture from the side a little so you could see the wings rise up off the ground a little by resting on the rod pretzel. They really are kind of cute!
Lately this kind of activity would have stressed me out, especially with Lee gone and right during the time when I needed to feed Melissa and get her to bed. Truth is, I actually kind of enjoyed it! It's not every day that I feel like a creative cook! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment