She's here! (Okay, so she's been here for two weeks; but we're going to pretend I was able to post pictures right away...)
Melissa Lee Roberts
6/9/2011
12:30 am
7 lbs 1 oz
19 inches

Melissa's Birth Story:
I had been having contractions for several weeks, but they had been really strong for a couple days. While we were in Provo for an appointment, we (Lee, Morgan and I) decided to stop by the hospital. I wanted to make sure my
preregistration was complete, and I wanted to find out where we were supposed to go if we ended up going to the hospital in the middle of the night. I decided I might as well have the nurses see if I was progressing at all with the constant contractions. They monitored me for an hour and decided I was progressing, but really slowly. They decided to have me stay for one more hour again and then check. This time, however, I was able to walk around. Almost immediately my contractions got stronger still, so I wasn't surprised when they rechecked and decided I was definitely in labor. They hooked up an I.V. to give me
pitocin and speed things up, so I decided I might as well try and epidural while they were at it. At first I hated the epidural and how it made me feel, but in the end it made for a party (more below). It took about two hours for me to dilate to a 5, but then things really got going. The nurse came in to check me about an hour later and was surprised to find Melissa ready to enter the world. When the doctor came in a short while later, Melissa was already crowning. Half a push later, we got to meet her!

Melissa wanted to make absolutely sure she didn't get switched in the hospital, so she was born with a dark birth mark on the side of her face (see picture above). A few days later, one of her middle fingers started looking blotchy red. I'm thinking it's a
port-wine stain. So now she has two things that make her distinctly Melissa. :)

About that part I referred to above: I had invited all the girls in my family to come to Melissa's birth if they wanted. None of my sisters had ever attended a birth other than their own kids, and I think it's an experience everyone should be able to witness. The miracle of birth is an amazing thing! My mom wasn't able to come, but my three sisters were all there. My best friend, Denise, was also there with Lee and I. Denise came to play games with me and be there for the whole labor. Everyone else arrived about 1 1/2 hours before Melissa was born. (Lee had left to take Morgan home and to play basketball -- yes, I gave him permission.) As soon as we were all together, the party naturally started. Life is always a party when all us sisters get together, but I think it was an extra good time given that it was nearly midnight. I think the last part of my labor went so fast because I was laughing to hard! When the doctor came in, he even had a few good quips to add. I found myself wondering if I was seriously in labor? But then, Melissa was ready to come. Immediately the atmosphere in the room changed to one of excitement and reverent amazement.
This picture was taken about 30 minutes after Melissa was born: (Ashley, Lindsey, me and Melissa, Lee, Alyson, Denise)

Alyson and Lindsey headed back to Layton pretty quickly after the birth, so we weren't able to get a picture with them holding Melissa that night. We did get pics of Melissa with Aunt Ashley and Denise, though. I love this picture of Ashley and Melissa because it looks like Melissa is looking at Ashley. I have a very similar picture of me holding Ashley's baby girl, Elise, not long after she was born; and Elise is looking at me.

Denise has been at the birth of all three of my girls. I have been to three of Denise's four births. (Unfortunately, I was too far away when Shayla was born.) Denise took great care of me during my "labor". She played Phase 10 dice with me until everyone else arrived, kept me switching sides so my epidural would work evenly, and even slipped me a S
tarburst when the mean (not really) nurse told me I could only have ice chips. :)

I was so excited to finally meet Melissa. She is a special girl who was sent specifically to our family. I'm glad so many friends and family could be at her birth to witness her arrival into the world. I am blessed to be her mother.
4 comments:
Yay!!! So glad she's here. Now my kiddos need to stop coughing so we can play with her more!
Congratulations!
I think Denise slipped Melissa a starburst too. Doesn't it look like that in the last picture?
she's beautiful! congratulations!
Post a Comment